ড. জাকারিয়া বর্তমানে জাপানের মিয়ে বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের পরিবেশ বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিভাগে সহযোগী অধ্যাপক হিসাবে কর্মরত রয়েছেন। কিছুদিন আগে তিনি
ইমেইলে বিজ্ঞানী.orgএর সাক্ষাতকার দেন। তার গবেষনার বিষয়হল Composite Materials, Slope Protection, Soil-Reinforcement Interaction। বিজ্ঞানী.org এর পক্ষ থেকে আমরা তার সাফল্য কামনা করি। ভবিষ্যতে সাক্ষাতকারটি বাংলাতে অনুবাদ করা হবে।
- Please tell us about yourself, your education and carrier.
- I am presently working as an Associate Professor in the Department
of Environmental Science and Technology, Mie University, Japan. Before
joining in Mie University in 1999, I was a JSPS Postdoctoral fellow in
the Department of Agricultural and Environmental Engineering, Kobe
University, Japan. I completed my higher studies (M.Sc.Ag.Engg. &
PhD) from Kyoto University, Japan. In Bangladesh, I did research as a
Research Assistant in the Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and
Technology, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh from where I
- What is your key expertize areas.
- Composite Materials, Slope Protection, Soil-Reinforcement Interaction
- Please tell us about your current research organization.
- Mie University, Details can be found in the following web page: http://www.mie-u.ac.jp/en/
- How did you gain interest in your research areas ?
- Initially from my supervisor at my undergraduate level through a
design and fabrication of ferrocement (cement composite) water tank.
That was my foundation to gain interest in construction materials which
was continued in MSc, PhD, PostDoc level. Most advanced researches on
composite materials and its practical application have been initiated
during my PhD studies. I always get interest in my researches because of
its direct application in construction industries.
- What trend do you foresee in your research areas?
- There are many composites materials. Among them, the engineered
cementitious composite has many advantages over the ordinary composite
in terms of flexibility, durability, toughness, crack arresting
properties etc. Environmental pressure over the last decade has played a
major considerable issue on the utilization of the recycled materials
for the manufacture of environment-friendly materials. With the rapid
increase in demand for balance between natural phenomena and ecology in
bio-environment, there is a significant need for continuous development
of technologies that consume the waste materials of existing
agricultural and engineering industries. Utilization of recycled and
waste materials is gaining much attention, lately, for the manufacturing
of cement-based composite materials for two environmental aspects 1)
solving the waste storage problem and 2) protection of limited natural
sources. Both the environmental and economic benefits can be achieved by
using the recycled and waste materials as construction material.
Cementitious composites with recycled aggregates like concrete, stone,
broken pavement, brick, gypsum and wood chips, have tremendous benefit
to the environment and significant cost saving in material acquisition
and disposal. It is, therefore, an urgent need today, not only to
develop new material and technology but also to study various properties
such as soil-reinforcement interaction, permeability, weight control
and bearing capacity of this kind of composite material for prospective
uses in various structures such as; earth slope protection,
soil-reinforcements, terrace lands, roads, canals, pavements,
embankments, ridges between paddy fields and other agricultural and
- What did you investigate in your last publication?
- The publication is a continuous process and it is developing day
by day and so the research and investigation. Which is the last one? It
is difficult for me to fix. However, I have investigated the followings
during the last couple of years.
- Different modes of failure of engineered cementitious composite embedded in soil under various loading conditions
- Development of low cost, environment friendly composite for earth slope protection
- Development of new technology for protection road and river embankment in Bangladesh
- What was your most successful moment?
- Every time that I succeed in reaching my personal goal is a
successful moment for me. The most successful moment? to be honest?
joining as a teacher in Japanese University. I am good in Mie
- Were you inspired by a famous scientist or engineer?
- I was highly inspired in my research activities at my
undergraduate level after studying a research paper of Prof. Dr. Naaman,
USA. In fact, his article encouraged me and worked as a foundation for
my research. Even today, when I roll on a research article of any famous
scientist, it stimulates me to think of ways. As I am working in an
inspirational environment, I am going to be inspired every day.
- What are the current research projects you are working on?
- Development of Environment-Friendly Technology for Disaster Prevention
- Development of new composite material using recycled aggregate
- Slope Stability Analysis for Fill Dams, Reinforced Earth, Roads and River Embankments
- Soil-Structure Interaction Studies by Experiment and FEM
- What is your future plan?
- To contribute my research results not only in Japan and developed
country but also in developing country, especially in Bangladesh.
- Your recommendation(s) and advice for young researchers who would want to pursue research in your research areas?
- Be stable on your own topics and thinking
- Be self-motivated and re-search for new clue
- Do relax and be friendly with supervisor
- If you can’t understand, do consult with your supervisor
- Avoid to cook the same old thing
- Try to develop something new
- Can you provide us your contact email address, if our reader like to contact with you.
- Yes, here it is:[email protected]e-u.ac.jp